The other day I had just finished 18 with the boys and was settling up at the bar chatting about the upcoming football season. I had a few and starting ranting a bit about Riley and how he's handling this camp. The boys at the table are a mixture of the pac12 and of course all love Riley, who wouldn't win he never beats UO or anyone by that matter. So the conversation went on about who is going to do what in the pac12 this season and I am spitting my logic about how OSU will only win 3 games and UO will battle for yet another pac12 title (normal shit) when a fella from another table (I know him and he knows me and he's a huge Beavers fan) chimes in, "What will it take for you to like Riley?" I couldn't answer at the time because my post golf birdie juice was kicking in and I was clearly not making any sense. So I have thought about it and came up with a short list:
1. Learn to have an edge. It is acceptable to to tell a reporter that you don't want to discuss the last two season and the team is past it. Or simply say "I don't need to discuss that anymore."
2. Don't use "growth" so much.
3. Get pissed at your coaches and hold them accountable.
4. Show the fans you care. Laughing on the sidelines when the team is getting their ass kicked isn't a good message to the fans.
5. Quit scheduling non-winnable OOC games. It makes more since to be 3-0 going into the season in hopes of a bowl birth instead of getting the shit kicked out of you by PSU, Wisc, Louisville, etc.
6. Close practice. Let the media sweat for a bit and send a message to the team that it is "us against the world"
7. Make doubters like me eat crow.
The season is close. 8 days until Nichols State rolls into Corvallis. Riley better have the team ready. Sac State is still haunting the fan base.
email me @ email@example.com
follow me @fire_mikeriley on twitter